Clean Lean N'Egg-Nog Christmas Muffins
The perfect healthy Christmas treat!
2.5 cups filtered water
1 ¼ cup buckwheat flour
¼ cup flaxseed meal
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2-4 hours (or overnight)
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
¼ cup Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
6 dates, soaked in boiling water for at least 10 minutes
¼ cup + 1 tsp stevia or other natural sweetener
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 lemon, juice
¼ tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. In a high speed blender, blend 2 cups filtered water, soaked/drained/rinsed cashews, soaked dates, 1 tsp stevia, 1 tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp cloves, ½ tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla extract until smooth. This is your “n’egg-nog”!
3. Pour 1 cup of this into a saucer and set aside.
4. Next, throw in the last 1/2 cup of water, buckwheat flour, flaxseed meal, Nuzest Clean Lean Protein, baking powder, soda, salt and the remaining stevia, spices and vanilla, and blend until well combined, about 20 seconds.
5. Lastly, pour 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (save the 2 tbsp for the glaze) and lemon juice in and blend for a further 10 seconds.
6. Line a muffin tray with patties and pour about the batter into each.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, whisk 2 tbsp coconut oil into the remaining 1 cup of n'egg-nog.
9. When the muffins are ready, allow to stand on a cooling rack 15-20 minutes.
10. Scoop 2 tbsp of the n'egg-nog on top of each muffin and spread out with the back of the spoon.
11. Serve warm or place in the fridge for 15 minutes to allow the “glaze” to harden.
Enjoy Christmas morning!
Recipe by Sami Bloom