1 min read
Spelt and Protein Scones
1½ cups plain spelt flour
½ cup Nuzest Just Natural or Smooth Vanilla Clean Lean Protein
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp coconut sugar
¾ cup milk
A protein-filled alternative to a usually carbohydrate dominated treat. Your taste buds won't believe this recipe is low-sugar, not to mention packed with protein. Try mixing it up with savoury flavours.
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced)
2. Sieve flour, protein and baking powder into a bowl. Rub butter into sifted ingredients until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add coconut sugar and milk and combine until mixture is soft but not sticky (mixing with hands is best but a spatula will also work)
4. Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and knead into shape until just smooth. Try not to overwork the mixture or the scones could become tough. Flatten dough out to about 4 cm and use a round cutter to cut scones starting from the centre and working your way out. Cut slightly higher rounds from left over dough.
5. Place rounds on a lined oven tray with sides just touching. Brush tops with a little milk before placing them in the oven for 12-15 mins or until golden.
Serve with jam and cream or ricotta.