3 min read
Don't let stress overcome you - Make 2020 your most Zen year yet!
Digital Spirit Collaborator
It should be the most relaxing time of the year! But self-care is often put on the back burner during January. Your mind is preoccupied with setting up before you start work again, taking care of the kids full-time, shopping, cooking, organising and socialising. And on top of this, you still need to remember to relax, put your best self forward and remain present and calm! Taking a few minutes out of the day for your own needs is essential.
Here are our top tips to ensuring you keep on top of your stress levels this year.
1. Take the time to make a nourishing meal or snack. Often, we neglect healthy eating patterns during times of stress, whether this be not eating or picking at processed foods that ultimately make you feel sluggish. Making the time to nourish your body is vital.
2. Take a bath and prepare a natural face mask. Baths reduce tension and stress and the alone time might be a perfect opportunity to clear your mind and practice meditation especially if you include a couple of drops of essential lavender oil.
Maximise on your bath time by spoiling yourself with this natural face mask recipe: ½ avocado mashed, 1 tablespoon of Manuka honey, 1 tablespoon oats (optional) and 1 tablespoon of bentonite clay (optional). Mix all ingredients and leave on face for 15 mins.
3. Give yourself permission to not have expectations of yourself, surroundings or outcomes. Saying no to that party to slow down and make time for yourself is the ultimate form of self-care. Get a full night’s sleep and wake up refreshed instead.
4. Swim! Heading to the beach or your local pool can be a great way to have some productive time to yourself, or enjoy a fun day out with the family. Feel refreshed and energised, with the added benefit of the exercise as a stress reliever.
5. Have the ‘Let it Go’ mindset. Holding onto past emotions won’t help the future. Learning to let it go isn’t easy, but it is rewarding. Ask yourself whether this all matter one month from now, and, if the answer is no, let it go.