- Make the time to move your body every day. Even if it’s only for 10 minutes! Or 10 minutes a few times a day. Go for a walk by the beach, in a park or through the bush. Or, perform any type of movement that you enjoy. Exercise releases our feel-good hormones, endorphins, and nothing makes us feel better than that natural high It also allows you to maintain a healthy weight far easier and reduces your risk for all chronic disease.
- Have the right support network. Surround yourself with people who support you, bring you up, align with your goals and values and make you feel good about yourself. You are the company you keep. So, learn to let go of the people who bring you stress or who make you feel like you’re not enough and prioritise time for those who really value you for you. This support, to me, is one of the most important things in life. If you can’t see them on a daily or weekly basis, pick up the phone! When you make the time to speak to your loved ones, it goes a long way for your overall happiness and wellbeing!
- Practice a self-care ritual. This might be a few hours a week where you read a book, cook in the kitchen, watch a great movie, get a massage, listen to music in your favourite location, meditate or do anything that helps you switch off and be at peace.
- Prioritise sleep. Try to aim for 7-8 hours of shut eye per night. The better you sleep, the better you feel and the better you work. It’s one of the most important things you can do for your body and your mind. So, make sure your room is very dark, avoid work at least 1 hour before bed, turn on “night shift” on your mobile and laptop when the sun goes down, use blue light blocking glasses if you’re watching tv or you visit the supermarket at night, diffuse relaxing essential oils and try meditating before you go to sleep or anything else that helps you wind down.
- Fill your body with wholesome foods and eat what you LOVE. Aim for 5 serves of vegetables a day and steer clear of added sugars and preservatives. And don’t forget to always enjoy every single meal! It is important to find ways to prepare and cook healthy foods so that you enjoy your food every time you sit down to eat. Because, why not?! Pimp up your veggies with olive oil, herbs and garlic. Or create an Asian twist by using coconut oil, garlic, tamari and ginger.
If you love sweets, like me, then this is fine too! There is room for them, especially when you find healthy alternatives to your favourite foods like chocolate.
This is why I love Clean Lean Protein, as you can make decadent healthy smoothies, protein balls and other sweet treats with absolutely zero guilt, knowing that it is doing your body wonders!